If you’re looking for the best cheap car insurance in California, you may need to be diligent. Rates may vary from company to company, so it’s worth comparing as many car insurance offers as possible. How much does car insurance cost in California?
Minimal insurance requirements
If you drive a car in California, you are legally required to have insurance. California requires the following minimum amounts of liability insurance:
- $ 15,000 for injury / death of one person
- $ 30,000 for injury / death of more than one person
- $ 5,000 for damage to property
Here is the average annual company bid for the minimum state, according to ValuePenguin.com:
- GEICO: 253 USD
- Progressive: USD 441
- Allstate: USD 496
- National: 575 USD
- State Farm: USD 576
- Farmers: 604 USD
Best car insurance in California
There is no one best type of car insurance for everyone. Some drivers are willing to pay a little more for excellent customer service, some want the lowest rates, while others prefer carriers who can handle claims and payments through mobile applications. We present the best insurance companies in California for various services, based on a survey of current policyholders. The results are 100.
California’s best car insurance for customer service: Allstate ranked the best in this category, with a score of 91 out of 100, followed by USAA, which serves active members of the army and their immediate family, with a score of 90. The CSAA insurance group finished third place with a score of 88.
Best for claims settlement: the American family took first place in this category (95), followed by Mercury (94). The CSAA Insurance group was in the top three with a score of 93.
Best for mobile applications / website: Safeco was the best insurer when it comes to the ease of use and functionality of its website and application, winning 89. USAA took second place (87), and Farmers – third (86).
Finding The Right Cheap California Car Insurance For You
Finding the best car insurance in California may depend on programs and policies tailored to you. Here’s how you can save with discounts, special programs and more.
Discounts on car insurance
Many companies offer discount options. For example, Hartford offers a special program that includes rate protection for AARP members. Here are some other possible discounts from suppliers.
Geico offers discounts on:
- Students who get good grades
- People with a good driving history
- Membership in a brotherhood, brotherhood or honorary society
- Vehicle safety equipment
State Farm offers student discounts for:
- Ranking in the best 20% of its classes
- Throwing honor
- Gaining a point average of 3.0 or higher
Policyholders can get several discounts associated with policies on:
- Insurance quote request on the Esurance website
- Combining an existing home or motorcycle policy with car insurance
- Paying the entire premium at once
Car owners who opt for Ameriprise insurance can get discounts on:
- Maintaining a good driving record
- Taking a defensive driving course approved by the Motor Vehicle Department
- Purchase of vehicles equipped with safety devices such as airbags, anti-lock brakes and automatic seat belts